With most jobs, an element of risk exists in the workplace, whether it's cooking fries in hot oil or lifting a heavy box of paper materials for the office. Luckily, if an employee is hurt on the job, worker's compensation is a type of insurance that employers will use in this situation. For instance, if you're injured at work, this compensation can cover related costs from doctor's bills to lost wages. This can spare you and your employer excessive expenses. Below, find out more about this kind of insurance, how it works, and who it covers.

What to Know About Worker's Compensation

What kinds of injuries does worker's compensation cover?

worker's compensation

Worker's compensation covers illnesses and injuries related to your work duties. However, to qualify, your injury doesn't necessarily have to take place in the workplace. For example, if you're a salesperson driving to a meeting, but you get in a car accident, this insurance may still apply since you were performing a work-related duty. It can also cover long-term, work-related injuries — not just those incurred in sudden accidents — like carpal tunnel syndrome from excessive typing or other handiwork.

What should you do if you're hurt at work?

You should report any injuries or illnesses to your employer immediately. They will have you complete a formal accident report, which can be used to file your worker's compensation claim. This should include details of the accident, including when and where it occurred. It's also important to see a doctor, not only for health reasons, but because your medical records will be used to bolster your compensation claim.

What types of damage are possible?

Worker's compensation covers various expenses related to a work-related injury or illness, including medical expenses, ongoing care, and wages lost due to time off from work. However, this insurance doesn't apply in all circumstances. For example, if the employee was intoxicated on the job, started a fight, or otherwise acted irresponsibly in a way that contributed to their injury, they aren't entitled to a payout.

What happens if I'm denied worker's compensation?

If your claim is denied, your employer doesn't have the insurance, or the insurance company is simply not paying enough to cover the cost of damage, talk to an attorney. A lawyer can help you file a legal claim if necessary. They can also negotiate with insurers and make sure you get the compensation you are due.


If you're considering filing a worker's compensation claim, consult Donahue Law of Keene, NH, for representation. This law firm has been serving residents throughout southwest New Hampshire and Cheshire County since 1983. These attorneys approach their clients with empathy and understanding, taking an in-depth approach to every case. Visit their website to learn more about their practice areas, and call (603) 357-2363 for a consultation.