Even if you follow all the rules of the road, you can’t rely on other motorists to do the same. If you sustained injuries in an accident that was not your fault, a personal injury attorney from The Law Offices of Katzman, Logan, Halper and Bennett in Cincinnati, OH, will help you determine if you have a valid case.
In the meantime, here are five steps to take following a collision that results in harm:
- Call 911: Pull over to a safe place if you can, turn on your hazard lights, and call 911. In addition to treating your injuries, first responders will help you document the accident, and an officer will file the police report for you.
- Take Notes At The Scene: If you are capable of doing so, take notes regarding the details of the collision, including the injuries you sustained. Take photos if you can, and save all of your files in a safe place.
- Exchange Insurance Information: After you’ve documented all the important details of the crash and the injuries you sustained, exchange insurance information with the other drivers involved. You will need this information later when you are filing a claim with your insurance company.
- Get A Copy Of The Police Report: If police respond to the scene, they will automatically file a police report. Make sure you get a copy. The police report is an important document in most personal injury cases because it details the scene of the accident from a third party’s perspective.
- Call A Personal Injury Attorney: Filing insurance claims is rarely straightforward, but a personal injury attorney will be able to guide you every step of the way. Once you feel well enough to discuss your situation, call a lawyer to assess your options for pursuing compensation.
If you sustained injuries in a car accident or want to file a wrongful death suit after losing a loved one, turn to The Law Offices of Katzman, Logan, Halper and Bennett in Cincinnati, OH. Visit the firm online to learn more about the various practice areas or call (513) 793-4400 to schedule a free initial consultation with a personal injury attorney today.