When two spouses decide to separate, the family law judge presiding over their case may require one partner to pay alimony to the other. The goal of this financial support is to help a spouse transition to living on their own with similar comforts and financial freedom as they once had. If you’re considering a divorce in Nebraska, below is more information about this process and how the amount of spousal support is calculated.

Who Gets Spousal Support?

If you and your spouse both held jobs throughout the marriage and can live independently of each other, the family law court may not require spousal support. However, if one partner makes significantly more than the other, they may need to support their ex after the marriage ends. Alternatively, if one spouse gave up their career during the marriage to help run the household, they may need some time to get back into the workforce. In this case, a judge may award them alimony.

family law

Most modern alimony rulings are short-term requirements, as they are only meant to provide temporary financial help until the supported individual can finish school, sell their property, or get a job. Alimony may not be awarded if the marriage was too short, or if both spouses have ample job opportunities.

How Does a Judge Calculate the Amount?

In Nebraska, judges don’t have any set rules to follow when creating an alimony plan. Instead, they use their discretion to determine how much the lesser-earning spouse needs. They’ll consider the average quality of life in the area, which is how much income is necessary for a reasonably comfortable lifestyle. They’ll also consider how much money each spouse is used to living on and using to support their children’s lifestyles, such as tuition for school and child care services. Also, if the supported spouse is getting custody of the children, they may be entitled to more alimony to offset these costs. However, every plan in Nebraska is decided on a case-by-case basis.


If you need a family law attorney to walk you through the divorce and alimony process, contact The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer in Wahoo, NE. This law firm was originally founded in 1893, and they continue to evolve to meet their clients’ needs. They have earned the AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest possible ranking. Visit the website to learn more about their services. Call (402) 443-3225 to schedule a consultation.