If you slip and fall on someone else’s property, you might have the right to hold the owner financially accountable for the damages you incur. Even minor falls can result in injuries that are costly to treat, and it is worth pursuing a personal injury claim if you miss any work to recover. Filing a successful accident lawsuit can be challenging, though, and there are steps you need to take immediately following the incident to preserve your right to sue. 

3 Steps to Take After a Slip & Fall Accident

1. Document the Scene

If you are physically capable of getting up after the slip and fall, take photographs of the scene. This includes documenting the hazard that led to the slip, as well as the surrounding area and any signs—or lack thereof—warning you of the dangers. If there were any witnesses, you should also ask them for a written statement regarding what they saw. Make sure you get their contact information, too, in case your personal injury attorney would like to follow up with them when building your case.

2. Seek Medical Treatment

slip and fallSome impact injuries do not exhibit symptoms immediately. It’s also natural for the body to produce adrenaline following a serious accident, which can mask injuries for some time. As a result, you should always seek medical care following an accident, regardless of how you feel. Not only will visiting your doctor protect your health, but it will also provide you with the documentation you need to file a strong personal injury claim.

3. Track All Damages

Start tracking the damages you have incurred from the very first doctor’s appointment. This will help you calculate a fair settlement amount when it comes time to negotiate for the compensation you deserve.


If you were hurt in an accident on someone else’s property, turn to Personal Injury Attorneys of Alaska in Anchorage to determine if you have grounds for a claim. To learn more about their experience helping slip and fall accident victims, visit their website. You can schedule an initial consultation with a seasoned attorney by calling (907) 770-0777.