Moving to a new state is exciting. However, with all of the packing and moving on your mind, it's easy to overlook one crucial step in the process—updating important documents. Avoid any confusion or hassle down the road by taking care of these informational changes during your relocation.

What Do You Need to Officially Change When Moving Out of State? 

1. Driver's License

Every state gives new residents a grace period to get an in-state driver's license. It’s usually 30 days, but it depends on the location. However, failing to do so within the allotted time could result in a fine if you're pulled over.

Fortunately, the process is incredibly easy. After you're finished packing and moving, visit the DMV and bring your old I.D. as well as proof of address. While there, complete the paperwork to update your vehicle title and registration.

2. Postal Address

packing and movingEven in this digital age, many businesses still rely on traditional mail for official correspondence. If your letters and packages end up at your old address, you may accidentally give strangers access to your private information. You may also miss important notifications, like payment amounts, process changes, or tax documents.

To prevent this, contact all of the companies you work with and notify them of the address change before packing and moving. This list should include loan agencies, magazine subscriptions, and utility companies. In case you miss anyone or letters are already in transit, the United States Postal Service allows you to request an address change online. The service comes with a $1.05 charge and forwards all mail to the new location.

3. Financial Information

Many banks and credit card companies use transaction systems that automatically flag activity that occurs out of state. In many cases, the request is instantly denied and the account is locked.

To avoid losing access to your funds once arriving at your new home, contact your financial institutions and have them add a note to your accounts regarding the impending relocation.


Planning an out-of-state move? Leave the packing and moving to E-Z Moving & Storage in Carlsbad, NM. Since 1992, the local moving company has provided honest, dependable, and affordable assistance to residents and businesses across Eddy County and the surrounding areas. From packing and unpacking to hauling, the movers take the utmost care to safely transport belongings to their new home. Contact them online to learn more about their short- and long-distance relocation services, and then request a free estimate today at (575) 887-3334.