If you ever become incapacitated, someone will need to make decisions on your behalf. Guardians and conservators are two roles that handle different aspects of your life, and you should think carefully about who you’ll appoint to each position. Use the following guide to learn the difference between these jobs and how an estate lawyer can help you set them in stone.

What Is a Guardianship?

When you arrange a guardianship, you’ll assign someone to make the decisions that’ll affect your vital needs. A guardian has control over any health-related matters, such as what treatments or procedures the doctor can conduct. They may also have a say in your living arrangements, including which hospital you’ll stay at and if you should be placed in hospice care.

What Is a Conservatorship?

estate lawyerYour conservator will be in charge of all financial matters. They will manage your assets, including your checking and savings accounts, real estate investments, stocks, and taxes. They can also pay off any debts you owe and take over the daily financial responsibilities of your personal business or estate.

What Happens If These Positions Aren’t Designated?

If you don’t designate a guardian or conservator in your estate plan, the court will be responsible for appointing these roles. They may choose one or two different people to tend to your financial and medical matters.

They’ll likely choose a close relative or spouse. The court might not be aware of the specific family dynamics in your life. If you’d rather not have the court make this crucial decision, you can designate a guardian and conservator in your living will or through the power of attorney forms.


If you're ready to start the estate planning process, reach out to Knochel Law Offices in Bullhead City, AZ. These estate lawyers have helped people throughout California, Arizona, and Nevada since 1987. Whether you need to draft a will or determine a power of attorney, they’ll help you look to the future with a sense of comfort. To learn more about their services, visit the website. Call (928) 444-1000 to schedule a consultation with an estate lawyer.