If your aging parents are beginning to decline physically or cognitively, at some point, you may feel the need to step in and care for Mom or Dad. As you assume more responsibility, you may start to wonder if you should seek guardianship, which will give you the legal authority to make decisions on his or her behalf. Learn more about a few signs that an elderly parent needs assistance with this helpful guide.

3 Times to Consider Guardianship for an Aging Parent

1. Health Concerns

If your parent has been diagnosed with some form of dementia, like Alzheimer’s disease, you should talk to a lawyer about assuming guardianship sooner rather than later. Having an arrangement in place will allow you to enact your authority once you actually need to.

You may also want to request guardianship if your parent needs around-the-clock care but refuses to move into a nursing home. 

2. Safety Issues

guardianshipIs your dad a dangerous driver? Does your mom often forget to turn off the stove? Even if your parent hasn’t received an official diagnosis, he or she may no longer be able to complete everyday tasks safely.

If this is the case, you can request guardianship from the court. If granted, you’ll be able to take measures to keep Dad off the road or to stop Mom from refusing domestic help. 

3. Financial Security

Sometimes, the cognitive decline that comes with age can hinder impulse control. A senior who’s never gambled in his life might be inclined to go to the track every day, for example.

Individuals who seek to take advantage of the elderly may manipulate seniors into adding them to their will. If your parent has started spending recklessly or making bizarre changes to his or her estate plan, you may need to intervene.


If you have questions about assuming guardianship over an aging parent, turn to The Law Office of J. Baron Groshon for help. Serving clients across North Carolina, this firm has offices in Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, and Lake Norman. This team has provided effective estate planning services, including wills, trusts, and powers of attorney, for more than 28 years. To find the office nearest you, visit the website. To request a consultation, call (704) 342-3328.