Replacing a septic tank is a major undertaking, so many homeowners try to extend the lifespan of their tank by providing it with regular care and maintenance. Great Bear Septic Service in Carmel, NY, wants to help you avoid costly repairs, so they’ve compiled a list of five simple septic tank care tips.
To prevent damage to your septic system, be mindful of the following:
- Keep Tank Free of Heavy Objects: Although your septic tank is buried underground, parking or placing heavy objects, like vehicles or lawn equipment, on top of it is never a good idea; the added weight can cause cracks and leaks in your septic tank walls.
- Use Septic-Safe Products: One of the best types of septic tank care is to use household chemicals and cleaning products that are labeled septic-safe. This means you can dispose of them down the drain without worrying about whether they’ll eat away at the walls of your septic tank.
- Watch What You Flush: Septic tanks can only handle so much waste, which is why it’s important to avoid flushing like cigarette butts, sanitary napkins, paper towels and diapers. These items can become waterlogged and lead to pipe backups.
- Dispose of Grease Properly: Septic tanks can become easily clogged with congealed cooking oils, causing the need for extensive repairs. Because of this, Great Bear Septic Service recommends disposing of such materials in the trash, rather than down the sink.
- Flush Tank Regularly: Over time, your septic tank will collect solid waste that needs to be flushed out in order for it to function properly; cleaning your tank is an integral part of septic tank maintenance.
To learn more about the septic solutions available from Great Bear Septic Service, contact them today at (845) 621-0250. The company serves clients throughout Putnam, southern Dutchess, and Westchester counties. Visit their website and like them on Facebook for a closer look at the septic tank care services they offer.