If you're a United States citizen engaged to someone from another country, you can bring your intended spouse to the U.S. to wed on a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. This is a way for them to start the process of becoming a permanent U.S. resident. Here's a closer look at this type of visa to help determine whether this is the right option for your situation.   

What the K-1 Visa Is

The K-1 fiancé(e) visa, or K-1 nonimmigrant visa, allows foreign-born people to enter the United States for the purpose of marrying their American partners. Once an individual enters the U.S. with K-1 status, they must marry within 90 days. Afterward, the foreign citizen can apply for a green card, which will give them legal permanent resident status.

Eligibility Requirements

You must be a U.S. citizen to bring your foreign-born fiancé to the country. Although the relationship is long-distance, you must have met in person at least once within the two years prior to applying for the visa. If a visit poses extreme hardship to you or goes against the cultural or social practices of your fiancé's country, this requirement can be waived. 

K-1 fiancé(e) visa

Additionally, you both must have legally terminated any previous marriages and be ready to wed each other within the 90-day window. You are expected to live together as a married couple afterward. 

What Is the Process of Bringing Your Partner to the U.S.?

The process starts by filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The petition asks for the agency to recognize the relationship. Once the form is approved, it's sent to the U.S. Department of State National Visa Center. 

The center then sends the approved form to the U.S. Embassy or consulate where your foreign-born partner lives. Your fiancé will be contacted to arrange an interview as part of their K-1 nonimmigrant visa application process. If the Department of State consular office approves the application, your soon-to-be spouse will be issued a K-1 fiancé(e) visa, which is valid for up to six months. 

Next, your partner will travel to a port of entry in the United States where a Customs and Border Protection officer will determine whether to allow them into the country. Once they're admitted, the 90-day window to get married begins. After the marriage, your spouse will file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status to begin the green card application.


To begin the process of bringing your future spouse to the United States, reach out to the Immigration Law Center in Atlanta, GA, conveniently located next to the city's immigration office. Serving clients for over two decades, the immigration lawyers will help you fill out forms and file them with the correct agency to secure the K-1 fiancé(e) visa. Find service details online and call (770) 491-1411 for an appointment.